Sunday, September 19, 2010

Love Ridden



Day after day the faces pass by

in a dull haze of light and color-

Everyone rushing in masses of stained humanity

Their faces pale splotches of blurred color amidst the multicolored swirl-

Streaming like a river down the streets

and over bridges built for burning...

Merging

Flowing

They dash up empty allyways


Their intricately colored scarves snapping in the chill breeze-

I stumble as I step off the sidewalk and into the brightly running gutter

Pushing through the crowd as I

transverse the crosswalk...

A piece of trash sweeps across the street

rattling hollowly

I frivolously gaze up,

for no good reason...

except perhaps the clattering of traffic-

The wind blows the loose hair out of my face


...and there you are...

Your eyes suddenly burn in luminescence

above the harsh voices of living

Everything is still; the gray masses recede until

We're alone on the empty street

One step at a time, you grow closer

...until I am consumed by only your face.

Then abruptly you pass;

a siren wails sharply,

and the multitude leaps into action-

Yet I turn;


Your gaze penetrates-

The masses...

and I can only see YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment